Education and School Public Records

Search Public Records for Education and School Records

What Information Can Be Found in Education Records?

Schools are required by both state and federal law to maintain records and make them available to the parent or guardian of a student upon request. Disclosure of school records to anyone other than the parent or legal guardian without parental written consent is prohibited by law, with the exception of: school officials who have a legitimate educational interest or who are from a school district to which your child intends to transfer, certain state and national education agencies for enforcing federal laws, any person who is statutorily allowed to view such records, research organizations assisting the school, student financial aid officials, people who have a court order (with prior notification), certain people in health or safety emergencies, or law enforcement authorities in certain cases. Minimum requirements for such records are determined by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), while additional state regulation may require even more rigorous record keeping and right of review.
The type of information that you can find in school and education records includes:

Cumulative File

  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Academic achievement levels
  • Teacher reports
  • Report cards and grades

Confidential File

  • Written reports and evaluations of student by school staff
  • Reports from independent evaluators
  • Medical records released by parents or guardians
  • Individualized Education Program (IEP) records
  • Correspondence between parents or guardians and school officials

Compliance File

  • Reports of eligibility meetings
  • Correspondence between parents and school officials

Discipline File

  • Documents relating to school suspensions, expulsions or other disciplinary issues

How to Conduct a School or Education Records Search?

Disclosure of school records is guided by FERPA, which mandates that schools must show parents all records that are maintained by the school system related to their children. The only records exceptions to this rule are notes of school staff made for their own personal use, and not shown to other parties with the exception of a substitute teacher, and personnel records of school employees. To view school records, the parent or legal guardian of a student should contact:

  • The school or school district of attendance. A signed release of information will be required to obtain records, though some schools will accept any written request from the parent or legal guardian.

School and Education Records Resource Links

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) - The U.S. Department of Education provides detailed information on FERPA and the rights of parents to inspect and review education records maintained by schools.

Latest Questions and Comments for Education and School

25 Comment(s)Last comment at 2018-04-06 17:20 GMT

Hello I was wondering if you could direct me to a good source for seeing public school budgets for the state of OK, all aspects of them for say from 2010 to 2017. Any help would be appreciated Thank You and God Bless
Answer 2018-04-06 17:20 GMT

need to get my school records from Wyoming Public Schools in Kent County
Answer 2017-12-26 12:25 GMT

need to know my school records for Wyoming Public Schools in Kent County in Wyoming, Mi
Answer 2017-12-26 12:23 GMT

I did not complete high school. I live in PG county. How do i obtain my school records that will show my highest grade completed. I want to get a diploma.
Answer 2017-07-24 22:19 GMT

hi my name is james I need a copy of my ged were would I go its been 20 years
Answer 2017-05-26 13:38 GMT

How can I find out if my son is still attending school or drop out
Answer 2017-03-17 12:05 GMT

Can you obtain school records from the 1930's and 1940's
Answer 2017-03-14 18:59 GMT

I completed 6000 hrs. with associated restaurants of CT how can I find my records
Answer 2017-03-11 01:26 GMT

not sure if you still need this but you need to go to the state and get the results.
Answer 2017-01-18 17:52 GMT

How can I get document of me attend school in Hawaii an wjy was I in special education class
Answer 2016-11-01 20:07 GMT

Who voted against the new science standards that were approved?
Answer 2015-11-10 22:13 GMT

How can I get a transcript from my high school from 1979 Central Innovative.Please e-mail at I live out of the state need it for new job
Answer 2015-10-13 17:02 GMT

I would just like a copy of the last grade at foley intermediate school in Alabama I attended.
Answer 2015-09-26 21:43 GMT

how do I acquire a copy of my school transcripts
Answer 2015-08-18 22:50 GMT

I need to get school records for my children now adults attended public schools in Oklahoma from 1981 through 1986 or 1987
Answer 2015-07-24 15:43 GMT

Why does Campbell County School District not have to archive student records, but everyone else does?
Answer 2015-07-20 16:24 GMT

My name was Vicky Kay Rose,I am now married (last name Kolhepp).In 1999 I was a resident of a halfway house in Newark,Ohio called Spencer House. While living at Spencer House I took my GED test but never received it. I was wondering how I can find my GED or test results.This was in Licking County.
Answer 2015-07-10 20:46 GMT

I am needing something with our address on it when we lived in Lawton, Oklahoma when I was in grade school or my sister who was in High School at the time. This would be back in 1968 or 1969. Where would I go to get this sort of information? Thank you
Answer 2015-06-24 14:51 GMT

I am looking for my transcripts to a school I attended in Honolulu 1969-1971. The school was called Electronics Institute of Hawaii and I later found out it was bought out by Honolulu Business College, but they also went out of business. My County personnel wants my transcripts beside my diploma. Can you help?
Answer 2015-06-18 14:52 GMT

my name is melvia dee fisher im looking for my transcript of adult high school diaploma in 1990 can u help me find them
Answer 2015-05-07 18:32 GMT

My mother, Catherne Anne O'Brien attended St. Anne's Academy in Ft. Smith, Ar. graduating in 1938. She was brought to the school as a young girl, by a relative who I believe was a teacher there. My question is this: I was hoping that her enrollment records and/or any other documents would list the name of the person who enrolled her - that is what I am searching for. Can you help?
Answer 2015-04-29 23:54 GMT

how can I find a transcript from a private Christian school in Georgia that is no longer in operation?
Answer 2014-10-22 22:21 GMT

i'm trying to get a copy of my california highschool equivilancy exam.I live in mexico and the school i got it at has since closed can i get a copy?
Answer 2014-10-10 02:45 GMT

How to get a copy of my diploma
Answer 2014-08-20 04:01 GMT

I am requesting a copy of my GED. I took the test in July of 1973 in Silver City NM. My name is Victor Eugene Cole
Answer 2014-03-12 23:22 GMT

Prominent Records for Education and School

Delaware Public Records - Curriculum Standards Edit

Learn more about content and curriculum standards for the Delaware school system. Explore standards by topic and major subject area.

Physical Address:
Department of Education John G. Townsend Building 401 Federal St. Dover, Delaware 19901
Contact: P: 302.735.4000 F: 302.739.4654

Delaware Public Records - Department Of Education Edit

Looking for information on schools or education in the state of Delaware? The Delaware Department of Education oversees the public school system in the state. Find information about employment, teacher license and certification, educational support systems, research, and school and district ratings for Delaware schools. Access educational studies and reports by year, learn more about the Delaware Educational Support System (DESS) and the national Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). Also

Physical Address:
Department of Education John G. Townsend Building 401 Federal St. Dover, Delaware 19901
Contact: P: 302.735.4000 F: 302.739.4654

Indiana Public Records - Department Of Education Edit

The Indiana Department of Education promotes academic achievement and career preparation for all Indiana students. Find valuable resources and information for students, parents, educators, and researchers. Learn about school data, academic standards, assessments, and school district staff. Find information pertaining to learning standards, student testing, and school performance. Locate the alphabetical index of all Department programs including accreditation, assessment, and licensing, curricu

Physical Address:
Department of Education 151 West Ohio Street Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Contact: P: 317.232.6610 F: 317.232.8004 E:

Kentucky Public Records - State Board Of Education Edit

The Kentucky Board of Education develops and adopts regulations that govern public school districts and the Department of Education. Find data and research, district support services, facilities, and information about doing business with the Department of Education. Learn about federal programs and instructional equity, finance and funding, grant information, school improvement, and transportation. Find the latest Board of Education meeting agendas and dates and learn how you can participate in

Physical Address:
Board of Education 500 Mero Street, 1st Floor CPT Frankfort, Kentucky 40601 P: 502.564.3141 x 4803

Maryland Public Records - State Board Of Education Edit

The Maryland State Board of Education is made up of twelve members appointed by the State Governor. The Board is responsible for setting Maryland's education policies and standards for public schools as well as public libraries and correctional education or vocational rehabilitation services. Learn about each of the twelve Board members and the experience they bring to the Board. Find out more about their individual responsibilities and how the Board functions. Learn about the State Superintende

Physical Address:
State Board of Education 200 West Baltimore Street Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Contact: P: 410.767.0467 F: 410.333.2226 E:

I did not complete high school. I live in PG county. How do i obtain my school records that will show my highest grade completed. I want to get a diploma.
Answer 2017-07-24 22:19 GMT

Search Public Records

About Education and School

PublicRecords360 organizes various public records by categories. This page details Education and School Records. Such categorization helps you find specific information about people. Search for any category and PublicRecords360 will aggregate & display all the relevant information. You can also check prominent records for that category. You can also simply type in the name of a person in the search box above and let PublicRecords360 search all records about that person across all states.

As per your needs, you can check public records in other categories such as Business and Banking, License & Registration, and Public records. For instance, if you are trying to find an old friend or relative, you can browse Voter records. Most people update their voter registration whenever they move from one place. On our home page, you can find the link to Election and Voting records page, where one can search for registered voters from all the states. If you do not find what you are looking for, you can leave a question for PublicRecords360 Team from the Contact page.

Connect With Us

Link to this page

Copy and paste text in the box below to your blog or website.