Marriage and Divorce Records

Search Marriage and Divorce Records for Vital Statistics and Genealogy Research

What Information Can Be Found in Marriage and Divorce Records?

Marriage and divorce information can be helpful in finding lost relatives, looking for proof of citizenship, documenting your family tree or for conducting genealogy research for medical or other reasons. Such official documentation can clear up the uncertainty of relationships or establish others. Like birth and death records, these vital records were not routinely maintained in the United States until the early 1900's. However, subsequent to this period, marriage and divorce records were maintained at the state level.
The type of information that you can find in marriage and divorce records includes:

Marriage Licenses

  • Addresses at time of marriage application
  • Maiden name
  • Birth dates, birth places & occupations
  • Blood types
  • Place of marriage
  • Witness names

Divorce, Annulment and Separation Certificates

  • Names of both parties
  • Wife's maiden name
  • Date and place of marriage
  • Addresses at time of record
  • Property settlements and child custody decisions

How to Conduct a Marriage or Divorce Records Search?

To conduct a search or obtain copies of marriage licenses or divorce, separation or annulment certificates, you should contact:

  • The vital records office in the state where the marriage or marital separation occurred. The location of this office varies from state to state, but in many cases this office or these records are maintained through the state's department of health.
  • The family court clerk's office in the county in which the couple lives or divorced.

National Marriage, Divorce, Annulment and Separation Records Resource Links

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Vital Records Resources - Marriage, divorce, annulment, and separation records are handled at the state level, but the CDC does offer a composite list of links to each state's vital records office.

Latest Questions and Comments for Marriage and Divorce

25 Comment(s)Last comment at 2019-04-15 01:07 GMT

We need a copy of my parents marriage certificate. They were married in Washington DC on Aug. 25th, 1951 at Christ Lutheran Church. In order to apply for VA assisted living benefits, we need this document as soon as possible. Help??
Answer 2019-04-15 01:07 GMT

Do you know the county in which the divorce took place? This early divorce record may have been filed that county's office. Please look for the county clerk's office and contact them. You may have to send a written request.
Answer 2018-04-30 06:19 GMT

About 1895 my great grandmother was divorced from my great grandfather...I cannot find any records anywhere pertaining to that. Are there any records still in existence? I find marriage records, but not divorce records. Can you help?
Answer 2018-02-26 00:24 GMT

I'm looking for Frank Everette Robertson and Robin Francean Robertson divorce papers
Answer 2017-12-05 23:49 GMT

My wife is having an affair and she told me the other guy is divorced so I should grant same - I want to confirm he is divorced. I am not a NC resident. How can I obtain and/or confirm a divorce record or decree?
Answer 2017-09-20 16:20 GMT

I am searching for the divorce decree of my wife and her ex-husband that was filed in Pottawatomie County, OK in 1986 Please help
Answer 2017-06-03 23:09 GMT

I am trying to find the divorce certificate for my step father & his previous wife. I believe they lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area at the time of their divorce, but what information do I need to find out if the divorce was recorded and then get a copy of the divorce decree?
Answer 2016-07-29 03:19 GMT

I am in need of a certified copy of my divorce papers and I cannot remember the date - I think the year was 1983. My married name was Therese Dromgoole and my maiden and current name is Therese Perreault. Your help would be greatly appreciated
Answer 2016-04-18 03:23 GMT

Hi Is it possible to find out if there has been a marriage between two people when one is deceased?
Answer 2016-02-24 18:52 GMT

In Indiana, go to and do the All Odyssey Courts - Case Search for dissolution of marriage. Wish I could find an easy way to search for marriage records.
Answer 2015-08-29 19:39 GMT

In Indiana, search at for dissolution of marriage records.
Answer 2015-08-29 19:36 GMT

Looking for divorce record for Lowell V. Leak; married aldredge may in August of 1945. Divorced shortly thereafter. Aldredge married someone else in May of 1947 So divorce occurred in Marshall County, Alabama between 1945 and 1947.
Answer 2015-05-06 20:53 GMT

i am looking for dissolution of marriage for aaron sterling and connie patton-sterling
Answer 2015-01-15 10:21 GMT

my wife was married in Corinth miss am trying to get copy of marriage certificate
Answer 2014-12-11 23:34 GMT

I think my mother was divorced in Washington, DC in 1954, 55,56. Is this the right department to look for her divorce decree?
Answer 2014-10-30 20:17 GMT

How can I find the divorce record of my mom Leslie Macko & dad John Michael Hughes. I think he may have passed and I don't know how to find out if it is him that passed or another john hughes. They were married in Dec. 20 1966 and divorced in 1967 or 1968 in Washington state King County
Answer 2014-06-28 07:28 GMT

I need to find the date of my marriage to Russell L. Barnes in June of the early 1970s for myFL drivers license renewal and get a copy of it. If not I will have to change all of my accounts to my máiden name. I never changed my name back after our divorce and I have been told that he is deceased so I can't ask him Help
Answer 2014-06-19 23:28 GMT

Jillian please contact me. I have a question about Sheahan...
Answer 2014-05-05 07:40 GMT

I am looking for dissolution of marriage for michelle gorden and Michael gorden/
Answer 2014-04-08 02:07 GMT

can i apply on line for divorce record
Answer 2014-01-23 14:52 GMT

i need a copy of a divorce decree
Answer 2014-01-01 21:46 GMT

Marriage records Prior to 1952 are available from the County Probate Court where the marriage application was originally recorded. You can request the information in person or via mail. As you are not sure of the year of the marriage, there may be extra fees to check for records over the years. Please find more details at
Answer 2013-12-12 20:03 GMT

To obtain the certified copy of marriage certificate by mail, you need to send the request form to the county recorder in which marriage took place. In this case, it would be the Clark County Recorder. You must include Name of groom, Maiden name of brie, Date of Marriage, City of Marriage. Find more information about fees and address check here Alternately, you can search for your name on the PublicRecords360's home page and see if there is a public marriage record available for you.
Answer 2013-12-12 19:36 GMT

Where can I find marriage records prior to 1952? I'm looking for the record of my parents' marriage and I have been told they were married in Dade County. I don't have the exact date, but it would have been between 1945 and 1952.
Answer 2013-12-04 01:00 GMT

this is phillip douglas sangster im trying to find out if me and my ex-wife Amanda cl sangster is divorced or not thks.
Answer 2013-12-03 17:31 GMT

Prominent Records for Marriage and Divorce

Arizona Public Records - Mohave County Marriage Licenses Edit

Mailing Address:
Clerk of the Superior Court Mohave County Kingman Office 401 E. Spring St. P.O. Box 7000 Kingman, Arizona 86402

Contact Information:
P: 928.753.0713

Arizona Public Records - Yuma County Marriage Licenses Edit

Physical Address:
Clerk of the Superior Court Yuma County 250 West 2nd St., Suite B Yuma, Arizona 85364
Contact: P: 928.817.4234

Connecticut Public Records - Divorce Records Edit

Requests for copies of divorce decrees must be made through the Superior Court where the divorce was granted. Contact the individual court for fees and requirements.

Physical Address:
State Vital Records Office 410 Capitol Avenue Hartford, Connecticut 06134
Contact: P: 860.509.8000

i need a copy of a divorce decree
Answer 2014-01-01 21:46 GMT

Delaware Public Records - Marriage Records Edit

Get copies of marriage certificates in person, by written request to the Office of Vital Statistics or online through the third party vendor, VitalChek.

Physical Address:
Office of Vital Statistics 417 Federal St. Dover, Delaware 19901

Georgia Public Records - Divorce Records Edit

The Vital Records office may conduct a search to determine the occurrence of a divorce, but no records may be issued through this office; certified copies of divorce certificates are available from the Clerk of the Superior court in the county where the divorce was granted. To request a search to confirm divorce, you must provide a signed request including the designated fee and the groom's name, bride's name, date of divorce, place of divorce, and the number of copies requested.

Physical Address:
Vital Records 2600 Skyland Drive Atlanta, Georgia 30319-3640
Contact: P: 404.679.4702 E:

do i need  a copy of death certificate to get remarried ?  
Answer 2012-08-28 20:22 GMT

Search Public Records

About Marriage and Divorce

PublicRecords360 organizes various public records by categories. This page details Marriage and Divorce Records. Such categorization helps you find specific information about people. Search for any category and PublicRecords360 will aggregate & display all the relevant information. You can also check prominent records for that category. You can also simply type in the name of a person in the search box above and let PublicRecords360 search all records about that person across all states.

As per your needs, you can check public records in other categories such as Business and Banking, License & Registration, and Public records. For instance, if you are trying to find an old friend or relative, you can browse Voter records. Most people update their voter registration whenever they move from one place. On our home page, you can find the link to Election and Voting records page, where one can search for registered voters from all the states. If you do not find what you are looking for, you can leave a question for PublicRecords360 Team from the Contact page.

Connect With Us

Link to this page

Copy and paste text in the box below to your blog or website.